Wednesday, March 25, 2015

3-24-15 P-Day is my favorite day of the week!

L-R: Sister Magleby, Sister Denton, Sister Taylor
Back: Random Elders doing laundry
Click on photo to zoom
P-Day is my favorite day of the week! I get to do so many things that I never get to do on an everyday basis like laundry, and emailing, and writing letters, so it's basically the highlight of my week! I just love when I open up my email and see emails from my friends and family! Sometimes I forget that I used to have a regular life outside the MTC and that I could do stuff like this every day! 

Well, this week has been pretty much the same as any other week. The days consist of pretty much the same basic schedule here: Wake up, pray, get ready, pray, go to class, pray, study, eat, go to class, pray, learn, eat, pray, go to class, pray, learn more, pray, gym time, eat, more class time, pray, study, pray, language study, pray, go back to residence, get ready for bed, pray, pray, pray, go to sleep. Phew! So much prayer in one day! There's no way to not feel the Holy Spirit here when you pray so often! It's such a blessing to be able to be here for so long and to be able to do this kind of stuff all day long, but I also am looking forward to being able to leave and go to serve in the field! It will be a welcome change from the rigors of MTC life (ha, it's so rigorous, sitting and eating all day long).

So funny experience for this week. We were doing an activity called TRC (Teaching Resource Center) where we are able to speak with people who also know Portuguese. Usually this happens in practice rooms, but this week we were able to do it over Skype and speak with native Brazilians! It was so exciting and fun! So the way that TRC usually works is that we talk with LDS members about their lives and how they can continue to come unto Christ and we just try to have a little spiritual thought for the night. So Sister Magleby and Sister Taylor and I had just a really quick lesson prepared about how service can bring us closer to others and to Christ. So we get to the computer lab and start our Skype session with a young man named Vinicius. We start talking a bit about Brazil and Sao Paulo (where he lives) and different stuff about Brazil. Then out of nowhere, he asks "Voces sao casado?" And we replied with "Sim! Nos estamos muito casado!" Thinking that he was asking us if we were tired. Weird question, but that's besides the point. After we replied, I looked over to our teacher who is mouthing "Casado is the word for married! He's asking if you're married!" Nobody knew it, but it turns out that Vinicius was not a member of the LDS church, and that we were all very mistaken. Quickly our lesson turned from service to a lesson about Eternal families! We, being very confused, told Vinicius that he can be with his family (which consisted of his mother, his four cats, and his dog) for eternity, through the Gospel of Jesus Christ. We were all laughing so hard after the call was finished, and we had no idea about half the things we said to him or that he said to us! I guess I better start studying harder before I get to Brazil!

This is my last week here at the MTC (YAY) and I should be getting a reassignment soon. My visa to live in Sao Paulo still hasn't come through, but that's okay, because I basically have another mission call! I'm really excited to find out where I get to go until my visa comes in! It's so fun to think that I can go somewhere here in the US and teach em Ingles! I'm never teaching any lessons in English here, so that'll be a welcome change!

So here's some food for thought: Have I Done Any Good in the World Today? Listen to the words of this song by one of my favorite singers and consider what you can do to improve the world today!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIeA_5yYgB4

"Tis noble of man to work and to give, love's labor has merit alone. Only he who does something has help on the way, to God each good work will be known. So wake up! And do something more than dream of your mansion above. Doing good is a pleasure, a joy beyond measure, a blessing of duty and love!"

-Sister Holly Denton

"Wherefore, be not weary in well-doing, for ye are laying the foundation of a great work. And out of small things proceedeth that which is great." D&C 64:33

No comments:

Post a Comment